HISTORIC TAX CREDITS
128 EAST TAYLOR STREET
Built ca. 1860 in the Greek Revival style, the Mary Elizabeth Demere House sits within the Savannah National Historic Landmark District. Demere was the youngest daughter of Raymond Demere, the nephew of Captain Raymond Demere. Captain Demere served with General James Edward Oglethorpe at Fort Frederica.
Both buildings have a long history as both residences and commercial enterprises. The carriage house had already transformed into a store by 1898, as shown on the Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for that year. In 1982, Francis Dalton “Skeeter” McNairy purchased the property and operated a well-known antique store out of the garden level of this house until 2009.
The property is currently undergoing rehabilitation. Ethos has filed historic tax incentive applications and an application for a Certificate of Appropriateness for repairs and alterations to the exterior. The townhouse and the second story of the carriage house will be a bed and breakfast, and a new retail store has already opened on the first story of the carriage house.