NATIONAL REGISTER NOMINATION
EMERY THOMAS AUDITORIUM
The last remaining building from the first and only African-American 4H Club in Georgia, the Emery Thomas Auditorium will be nominated to the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1957, the building was the auditorium and assembly hall of the Dublin 4H Center. First established in 1939, the camp provided a place for African-American 4H youth to perform demonstration events, hold state congresses, and recreate prior to integration.
The building is named for one of Dublin's first African-American City Councilman, Emery (Emory) Thomas who was integral to the camp's success. Today, the building is situated within the City of Dublin municipal Riverside Golf Course where it is used for rentals and events.
The nomination will provide much due recognition of the site's history and open doors for the receipt of grants to ensure the building's preservation.