FORD AVENUE HISTORIC DISTRICT
RICHMOND HILL, GA
On the heels of the adoption of a local historic preservation ordinance and the completion of a historic resources survey, the City of Richmond Hill sought a grant to establish a local historic district along the city's central commercial corridor. Home to numerous buildings built by Henry Ford between 1925 and 1947, Ford Avenue is the heart of Richmond Hill and was the center of life during Ford's tenure in what was then the town of "Ways Station."
A growing community adjacent to the Fort Stewart Army Installation and the Ogeechee River, Ford Avenue has experienced significant development in recent years. With a desire to protect the historic resources once scattered along Ford Avenue, a local historic district was established and a user-friendly design guidelines document created. Accompanied by digital and face-to-face public engagement, the guidelines integrate community concerns with preservation principles to ensure Ford Avenue's historic resources are preserved and new construction is harmonious within its historic context.
The project was funded by a Historic Preservation Fund grant from the Historic Preservation Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.